The 2018/19 tax year in the UK runs from 6th April 2018 to 5th April 2019. Tax returns for this tax year are generally due by 31st January 2020. Here are some of the most common at-a-glance figures you might need for this tax year.
2018/19 Tax Rates for Self Employed in the UK
- Tax Year: 6th April 2018 to 5th April 2019
- Tax Return Deadline: 31st January 2020
- Personal Allowance: £11,850 (visit this page)
- Basic Tax Rate: 20% (£11,851-£46,350)
- Higher Tax Rate: 40% (£46,351-£150,000)
- Personal Savings Allowance: £1,000 (visit this page)
- Trading Allowance: £1,000 (visit this page)
- Property Allowance: £1,000 (visit this page)
2018/19 National Insurance Rates for Self Employed in the UK
- Class 2 Small Profits Threshold: £6,205
- Class 2 Rate per week: £2.95
- Class 4 Lower Profits Threshold: £8,424
- Class 4 NI Rate: 9%
- Class 4 Rate above £45,000: 2%
- For full details and past rates visit this page
Other useful information for self employed in 2018/19 tax year
- VAT threshold: £85,000 turnover (visit this page)
- Standard VAT rate: 20%
- Annual Investment Allowance: £200,000 (visit this page)
- Cash Basis Limit: £150,000 turnover (visit this page)
- State Pension Age: 67 (visit this page)
- Qualifying Years Required for Full State Pension: 35 (visit this page)
Please note that the above information is just intended as an ‘at-a-glance’ quick summary summary. Please visit the relevant links for full details. You should always seek professional guidance from a qualified accountant.
If you spot any errors in this article please get in touch. Don’t forget to subscribe on YouTube and remember you can get access to extra useful content by becoming a site member. Please also join our mailing list so we can keep in touch with you outside the world of YouTube. We are 100% privacy focused and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Thank you for supporting this independent website and best of luck on your small business journey!
Last Updated on 18 August 2018 by Andy Mac
- Tide business account review - 22 April 2023
- UK small business tax rates 2023/24 – at a glance! - 3 April 2023
- Self employed taxes in the UK – what records do you need to keep? - 7 February 2023