Let’s have a little chat about record keeping in the UK! As a self employed person, you must keep records to back up the information you put on your self employed tax returns. You can keep paper records, electronic records (e.g. in a spreadsheet) or you can use software. So what sort of information do you need to keep track of?

You can watch the full video here:

Tax receipts, expenses and record keeping in the UK for self employed folk
Watch this video on YouTube.
Concerned about privacy? Please read our Privacy Policy before watching videos on this site - link at the bottom of every page. Thank you!

Self Assessment record keeping

On your self assessment tax return you generally only need to provide two figures. Your turnover and your business expenses. The system will then automatically calculate your profit and tax liability. However if you get audited you MUST have a good record of every transaction relating to your business. That means a detailed log of all income and receipts to back up all business expenses.

Income log

  • Normally when logging business income I would keep track of the following information:
  • Customer name
  • Customer address
  • Customer contact details (e-mail & phone)
  • Date invoiced
  • Date paid
  • Payment amount
  • Payment method
  • Brief description of work

Obviously there’s additional information you might want to log about your customers. For instance, you might want to keep a record of jobs you’ve done for them along with photographs. Some businesses log dates of birth so you can send them a birthday card. Garages might log MOT / service renewal dates. Make sure whatever information you’re logging is within GDPR guidelines.

Expenses log

Again, HMRC don’t issue any specific requirements for an expenses log, but I keep track of the following and it works pretty well:

  • Receipt Id (cross reference to physical receipt)
  • Purchase date
  • Payment amount
  • Supplier name
  • Item
  • Brief description
  • Category

Mileage log

I would suggest you keep a log of all business related travel, especially if you’re using the simplified expenses method for claiming mileage. I log the following:

  • Date
  • Start location
  • End location
  • Purpose of trip
  • Miles travelled
  • Amount claimed (generally 45p x total miles)

Using home as an office

If you use your home as an office you might want to consider keeping a record of the following:

  • Gas / electric bills
  • Water bills
  • Council tax
  • Home insurance
  • Telephone bills
  • Mobile phone bills
  • Rent
  • Mortgage interest

You then need to decide on a fair proportion to claim along with appropriate justification in case HMRC ask about this.

If you spot any errors in this article please get in touch. Don’t forget to subscribe on YouTube and remember you can get access to extra useful content by becoming a site member. Please also join our mailing list so we can keep in touch with you outside the world of YouTube. We are 100% privacy focused and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Thank you for supporting this independent website and best of luck on your small business journey!

Photo credit: rawpixel

Last Updated on 1 January 2019 by Andy Mac

Andy Mac

Leave a Reply